Monday, May 28, 2007

Hi. Just call me Mr. Pale Hose. Thats not my real name, but it will do for the purpose of this Blog. I grew up in the '60's in a suburb approximately 20 miles north of Chicago, Illinois. When I was a little boy my dad, my older brother and every kid I knew was a Cubs fan. One day a new kid moved in to a house a block away from ours. He told me that his family liked the Chicago White Sox. Until that moment I never knew there was a choice. Later I went home and my dad was watching a Cub game on TV. I announced to him that I was a White Sox fan. It is a well known fact that White Sox fans hate everything that has anything to do with the Cubs. On the other hand, especially back before interleague play, Cub fans are pretty much oblivious to the White Sox and their followers. So, after a minute or so of mock indignation, my dad just laughed and went back to watching his game. Being a Sox fan in the late '60's took some doing. For one thing, the team telecasted their games on a UHF station. Since the one TV we owned didn't receive UHF signals, that posed a problem. I soon found out that the games could be heard on WIND 560 AM. So that is how I fell in love with the Chicago White Sox; listening to Bob Elson and Red rush describe every fascet and play that was taking place 25 miles south of me and beyond. The Sox were pretty bad in 1968, 69 and 70. But 1971 ushered in the Roland Hemond/Chuck Tanner era and the Sox have been competitive if not good most of the years since. In 1972 Dick Allen, Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood gave us a taste of what a pennant chase was like. In 1977 the Southside Hittmen caused our pulses to quicken. In 1983 Tony LaRussa's team won the Western Division by 20 games. In 1991 Jeff Torbourg led a bunch of fuzzy cheeked kids like Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell and RobinVentura to 94 wins. In 1993 and 2000 the Sox won there divisions again. Then in 2005, under the watchful eye of one Ozzie Guillen, the Chicago White sox led from wire to wire and then charged through the post season at a 11-1 clip! I may live to be 100 or I could die tomorrow and it won't make a difference because I know I will Rest In Peace having seen the Sox win the World Series. It is an experience that is more intoxicating than drugs and more satisfying than sex. You could eat the most exquisite meal immaginable and it will out of your system in 24 hours. But no one can ever take away the fact that your team was proven to be the best in the world. I know that I was born to be a White Sox fan. That is how I am wired and I couldn't change it even if I wanted to. But I am happy to be a Sox fan and I would be proud of them even if they hadn't won the World Series. I feel that the Sox are headed for more successful seasons and it could even happen this year. Until then just call me Mr. Pale Hose.

No comments: